Very many people are unemployed in our society. Here are a few words of advice on what they can do to overcome the unemployment problem:
- Become a Problem Solver: Not everybody is a problem solver! Actually, going by the 90/10 rule, just about 10 percent of the men and women in the average place are responsible for 90 percent of what happens. In Nigeria for example, much less than 10 percent of the population determines what happens to the masses- the remaining 90 percent. The amusing thing is that the masses spend a lot of time complaining about the deeds and omissions of the ‘assets’ but rarely take matters into their own hands.
So it stands to reason that even when a crowd is interested in a job, employers would struggle to employ a true asset. After all, they (assets) are in very short supply!
- Have a Good CV: Your Curriculum Vitae is not just what you put down on paper but your character. If anyone speaks to you for a short period, that person forms an impression about you. That mindset is your real CV. You can’t hide it on the long run and that is why it is very important that you work on who you are. Form good working habits. Be truthful, honest and resourceful. Be the best worker to have. Then present all that on paper.
A good way to show you are who you claim to be is to have good qualifications. So make the best use of all opportunities and be well certified for whatever you can do. The purpose of the CV really is to provide proof that are good at what you can do, so you have a better opportunity if you have a well accepted certificate. Besides, demonstrate that you have wide knowledge. Let the potential boss know your skills which may not really be in the line of your duty. If you have good musical, writing, talking, dancing… skills, mention them (and include proof).
- Don’t Be Boring! Even very boring men and women are turned on when they meet very interesting people. If you carry an affable personality, it is highly probable that you will attract a job. Don’t be too serious when completing forms, replying interview questions, meeting people… I don’t mean that you give the outlook of being a clown if you are not. I also don’t mean that you should look like a fool in the name of being funny. But display a normal sense of control by using good and moderate humour.
- Get Busy: A problem many men and women have is that they prefer to wait for their dream job even when it is not forthcoming. I don’t support settling for less, but I am of the opinion that if you are idle, you don’t deserve to eat. Find something to do. It may be going back to school for a higher degree or even taking a temporary job. You know that is not your destination. But if you begin at a point, it is highly probable that you will go far and end up where you want.
- If you still don’t get a job, start your own! Okay, that’s not easy. How will you get capital? How about the required skills? If I can’t even get a job, how can I do well as an entrepreneur?
I won’t give the impression that entrepreneurship is for everybody. I am sure however that it is achievable to begin from almost nothing and build a huge business.